- 2 Tbsp oil for frying
- 2 extra large eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 1.5 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 3/4 to 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4-5 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp Okonomiyaki Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Bonito Flakes
- Remove any wilted leaves from the outside of the cabbage. Cut the cabbage into quarters and remove the core. Thinly slice or shred half of the cabbage, or until you have 4-5 cups shredded cabbage.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, water, soy sauce, and sesame oil until smooth. Begin whisking in the flour, 1/4 cup at a time, until it forms a thick, smooth batter.
- Add the cabbage to the batter and stir until everything is evenly coated in batter.
- Heat 1/2 Tbsp oil in a non-stick or cast iron skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add 3/4 cup of the vegetable and batter mixture. Press it down into the hot skillet to form a circle, about 6 inches in diameter and 1/2 inch thick. Place a cover on the skillet to hold in the steam, which will help the cabbage soften as it cooks. Cook the pancake until golden brown on the bottom (3-5 minutes), then flip and cook until golden brown on the second side. Pile the cooked pancakes on a plate and cover with foil to keep warm until ready to eat. Add more oil to the skillet as needed as you cook the pancakes.
- Drizzle the okonomiyaki sauce and mayo over the pancakes just before serving, followed with a topping of bonito flakes.